Blake Griffin


After Wednesday night's Clippers win over the Timberwolves in Minneapolis, Griffin had his head in his hands in the locker room after receiving a phone call that a friend from home had died. That friend appears to be Wilson Holloway, his high school teammate and Tulsa football player who died from complications of Hodgkin's lymphoma on Wednesday.

Holloway had been battling cancer since 2008.

Griffin had been a big promoter of Holloway's battle. When Holloway, 22 was nominated for the 2010 Rare Disease Champion award a year ago, Griffin tweeted to his 50,000 plus followers. "My boy Wilson Holloway is up 4."

In January 2009, Holloway won the Courage Award from the Football Writers Association of America after beating Hodgkin's lymphoma twice in the 10 months before that. His optimism and infectious smile inspired those around him.

"Holloway said after receiving the award, I'm so optimistic and so upbeat, I never really let it get me down. My whole mentality on it is if I let it get to me, then it's winning. I just kind of went about my life and did everything I wanted to do, and didn't let it slow me down."

Holloway and Griffin both accompanied Oklahoma Christian High School, where Holloway played football and basketball. After the Saints won their fourth straight basketball title in March 2007, Griffin, who had 22 points and seven rebounds in the championship game. One of those was Holloway, who added 14 points and nine rebounds.

According to the Tulsa World, "A lot of teams overlooked our other players." "Those teams think I'm our only guy. But they find out that we have five guys who can score instead of just one."

Holloway went on to play football at Tulsa, redshirting his freshman year in 2007. The 6 foot 6, 275 pound umbrage rigging was diagnosed with cancer in March 2008, but he received treatment and played in six games that following season.

"THE toughest fighter I have ever known," according to the Oklahoman, former Tulsa offensive coordinator. "Your impact on Earth is immeasurable, I love you and miss you."

Griffin could not be immediately reached for comment, but Clippers spokesperson Rob Raichlen told that his plans for All Star Weekend in Los Angeles will not change. He is scheduled to participate in the Slam Dunk Contest on Saturday and play in the All Star Games on Sunday.


0 comments to "Blake Griffin"

Post a Comment

Bloggers Community

Popular Posts

Web hosting for webmasters